Dog Supplements to Keep Your Dog Healthy
Dogs have been referred to as man’s best friend and for good reason; they’re our companions, our fur-babies, and part of our families. Just like other members of our families we want them to live a long healthy life.
Many times, just like us, our dogs become ill or develop diseases that can become fatal if left untreated or undetected in time.
The good news is that there are supplements that can help keep your dog healthy as they age. You want to keep them as healthy as possible, specifically as they grow older.
There are supplements for the liver, joints and a few others. Let’s break down some supplement options that will help provide optimal health for your dog.
When the function of the liver becomes compromised or isn’t functioning as it should, the cause can be often hard to determine. Whatever the cause is, it’s vital to support the liver to keep it working properly.
Denamarin and the contents it’s made up of have been shown to help protect liver cells from cell death and may even help repair cells and regeneration of the liver. The ingredient called Adenosylmethionine increases the livers glutathione levels.
This active ingredient is important because it helps in supporting the way the bile flows through your dogs’ liver; this helps your dog with absorbing nutrients better and supports better digestion.
Denamarin also helps in the function of your dogs’ brain with an ingredient called Silybin. Silybin helps support the health of your dogs’ brain and can decrease stress levels as well.
Reports of this product have been made that after using it for liver health, fur babies have had immediate behavioral changes as well; more playful and more active. (A healthy dog is a happy dog!)
Fish Oil for Dog Health
There’s a variety of benefits from giving your dog fish oil. Fish oil contains two omega-3 fatty acids that are great for your pup; EPA (eicosatetraenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).
Both EPA and DHA are found in many fish such as:
- Sablefish (black cod)
- Tuna (albacore)
- And more.
What are the benefits of fish oil supplements for my dog?
Studies have been done to prove the vast amount of benefits when a dog is given fish oil as a supplement into their diet.
- Inflammation decreased
- Stamina increased
- Improvements in the immune system
- Lessened shedding of fur
- Providing moisture to dry or irritated skin
- Promotes healthier skin
- Promotes a softer smoother coat
- Can be used increase your dog’s appetite because of the appealing fish flavor
- Joint pain reduced
- Helps with protecting against autoimmune diseases
- Reducing the risk of heart problems
- Reducing the risk of a stroke
- Antioxidant properties – to lower the risk of cancer
To determine the best supplement for your dog it’s important to talk to your veterinarian to determine what product is right for your pet.
Joint Health for Dogs
Joint issues in dogs aren’t uncommon; in fact, they are quite the opposite. About 1 in every 4 dogs will suffer from arthritis.
Arthritis doesn’t always happen just because of old age; about 70% of joint diseases are because of developmental diseases. 22% of arthritis conditions are in dogs under one year old.
Things that cause joint issues in dogs
There are two main types of joint issues in dogs; one is degenerative and the other is developmental.
- Degenerative joint disease is typically known as osteoarthritis;
- this joint disease will get worse as your dog ages if it doesn’t get treated properly
- Developmental joint disease includes things like:
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy – also known as HOD
- Osteochondritis dissecans – also known as OCD
- Both joint diseases involve inflammation
- This can be an issue later if left untreated because swelling and pain is the body trying to heal itself from injury as well as wear and tear.
- If inflammation is untreated or unchecked for weeks to years it will have a negative impact on your dogs’ joints.
Supplements for your dog’s joint health
- Turmeric – research has proven this to help with joint pain relief as well as having anti-inflammatory properties; it has also been known to relieve pain and stiffness
- You can add to their food 1/8 to ¼ tsp a day per 10 lbs. of your dog’s weight.
- Make sure it is organic turmeric or an actual turmeric supplement
- Make sure to follow the directions on the label before giving it to your dog
- CBD oil – this oil comes from the plant known as cannabis. The THC levels being so low, it will not get your dog high so don’t worry about that.
- CBD amongst many other cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory effects on your dog.
- CBD can decrease chronic inflammation, reduce pain levels, help stop premature aging that can happen because of oxidative stress
- Can be used to manage seizures
- Manage anxiety
- And help fight against cancer
- Glucosamine – a combination of glutamine (which is an amino acid) and glucose (sugar). This can be found in things like shellfish shells and animal bones.
- Adding this as a supplement can:
- Repair damaged tissues and cartilage
- Boost/replace lost fluid in the joints (this will help their joints move without pain)
Keeping your Dog Healthy
We all want to be careful when we are giving our dogs supplements of any kind, it is important, VERY important to always consult with your dog’s veterinarian before you start adding anything extra into their diet.
These are just a few supplements that can and have proven to increase the health of your dog’s life. Any questions, concerns or abnormal behavior should ALWAYS be followed up with a call to your vet’s office. Every dog is different, just as every health condition of theirs is different too; what is right for your dog might not work for another.
Supplements as listed above can help improve the life expectancy of your dog and help them live a happier life. Who doesn’t want that for their fur baby?